Friday, February 22, 2019 - 9:00am to Saturday, February 23, 2019 - 6:00pm
Free and open to the public.
For more information contact Prof. Gerardo Aldana, firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Mario T. García, email@example.com.
- 50th Anniversary
The 50th Anniversary of El Plan de Santa Bárbara Conference will take place on February 22-23, 2019.
Please join us for a two-day conference in a year honoring the dramatic events that gave rise to Chicano/a Studies at UC Santa Barbara, and to the transformative contributions of Chicano/a and Latinx students, staff and faculty to the intellectual life of the University over the following 50 years.
The conference will commemorate the 50th anniversary of El Plan de Santa Barbara on the 22-23 of February, with a weekend of expert panel discussions, receptions, and performances.
Through this yearlong commemoration, we aspire to catalyze collective efforts in the coming 50 years, to continue building a more equitable, diverse and inclusive University, and to complete the ambitious agenda that the architects of El Plan left for future generations.
Here is a topical overview of the scheduled presentations and discussions:
Friday, February 22
McCune Room, Interdisciplinary Humanities Center, 6020 Humanities & Social Science Bldg.
- Special Panel of Former Participants in the 1969 Plan de Santa Barbara Conference
- Sal Castro Memorial Keynote Address
- Chicana/o Studies Faculty and the Contemporary Relevance of El Plan de Santa Barbara
- Graduate/Undergraduate Panel on the Contemporary Relevance of El Plan de Santa Barbara
- Alumni Reception
Saturday, February 23
- Keynote Speaker: Prof. Cherríe Moraga, UC Santa Barbara
- Teaching Artists in Chicana/o Studies
- Keynote Speaker: Assemblywoman Monique Limón
- Partners in El Plan at UCSB
- El Plan and HSI Status
- Open Forum and Final Remarks
- Special Performance by Chicano Secret Service
The conference flyer and full program are available below.
January 28, 2019 - 12:02pm